The key shop is responsible for the maintenance and installation of locks, door closures, nameplates, and cutting of all keys. To request a key, please fill out the Key Request Form.
Conditions of Issuance
Door Keys to University Buildings
Master keys | Sub-master keys | Entrance keys | Room keys
- The purpose of these procedures is to formalize a process for the issuing, controlling and return of keys to university buildings.
- Other than during normal working hours, all buildings shall be locked in order to maintain the security of both the buildings and their contents.
- Keys are issued for entry to University buildings to faculty, staff and graduate students by the Facilities Management Department for the purpose of conducting University business only.
- An authorized individual entering or leaving a locked building shall not permit any individual to enter who would not normally be permitted to enter the building during the hours it is locked.
- An authorized individual may have guests so long as the guests stay in the proximity of the faculty or staff member having the assigned key and the authorized individual assumes full responsibility for their presence.
- An individual entering or leaving a locked building shall be responsible for securing the door and may be held responsible for any loss or damage to University property resulting from failure to do so.
- The Facilities Management Department will issue key(s) only when the key request form is received with the proper original approval signatures (no signature stamps). When completing the form, write the building name and room number for each key requested. Facilities Management will write in the key number(s) on the form. Deans/Department Heads must initial by each key and sign the bottom of the form. Print, sign, scan, and email the completed form to email@example.com. Facilities Management will email the requester the required deposit amount due and confirm a pick-up date/time. Requesters must present a valid UL ID car, sign the form for key(s) received and pay the required deposit at the time of pick-up.
- Lost keys must be reported to the Facilities Management Department within 24 hours. A new key request form must be presented and deposits paid to obtain replacement keys.
- Locks will be re-keyed only upon submission of an approved Facilities Management Work Request approved by all Departments within a building. The department making request will be assessed $35.00 per lock to cover the cost of re-keying.
- Keys must be returned in person to the Facilities Management Department before the last paycheck will be issued to faculty or staff (classified or unclassified) or before the final grades are released to Graduate Students.
- Deposits will be refunded upon return of key(s) by the key holder (in person).
- Undergraduate students will not be issued key(s).
- The Facilities Management Department shall be responsible for the establishment and implementation of regulations and procedures necessary for the assignment and control of keys to University buildings.
- This issuance of keys to staff and faculty is subject to the procedures listed below.
Building master keys (BM) fit one building and most doors within that building.
- The Vice-President/Dean of the College and Department Head/Director must give written approval on the Key Request Form before BM keys will be issued.
- Building Masters (MB) keys WILL NOT be issued in those cases where more than one department of college occupies the same building unless all affected Deans, Department Heads, and Directors give written approval.
- The key deposit for BM key will be $20.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
- Only one BM key per person will be issued.
Sub-master keys (SM) fit most doors within a department.
- The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the Key Request Form before SM keys will be issued.
- The key deposit for an SM key will be $10.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
- Only one SM key per person will be issued.
Entrance door key fits the entrance doors within a building.
- The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the Key Request Form before ENTRANCE DOOR keys will be issued.
- The key deposit for an ENTRANCE DOOR key will be $5.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
- Only one ENTRANCE DOOR key per person will be issued.
Note: Building entrance doors are not keyed to the Building Master and must be requested as “Entrance Door Key”.
Room keys fit only one lock (may be several doors keyed alike).
- The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the Key Request Form before ROOM keys will be issued.
- The key deposit for a ROOM key will be $2.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
- Multiple ROOM keys may be issued to an individual upon written approval of the Departmental Head/Director for purposes of issuing to graduate and undergraduate students. The individual to
- whom the keys are originally issued will be held responsible for the security of the room(s) accessed by the keys as well as the deposits.
Department Heads in Griffin Hall shall be authorized to purchase elevator keys, no more than one per Department. The cost will be $6.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.