The key shop is responsible with maintenance/installation of locks, door closures, name plates and cutting of all keys. To request a Key, please fill out the Key Request Form.
POLICY FOR ISSUING DOOR KEYS TO UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS
1. The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the issuing, control and return of keys to University buildings.
2. It is the policy of the University that other than during normal working hours, all buildings shall be locked in order to maintain the security of both the buildings and their contents.
3. Keys are issued for entry to University buildings to faculty, staff and graduate students by the Physical Plant Department for the purpose of conducting University business only.
4. An authorized individual entering or leaving a locked building shall not permit any individual to enter who would not normally be permitted to enter the building during the hours it is locked.
5. An authorized individual may have guests so long as the guests stay in the proximity of the faculty or staff member having the assigned key and the authorized individual assumes full responsibility for their presence.
6. An individual entering or leaving a locked building shall be responsible for securing the door and may be held responsible for any loss or damage to University property resulting from failure to do so.
7. The Physical Plant Department will issue keys only when the “key request” form is presented in person with the proper original approval signatures (no signature stamps).
8. Lost keys must be reported to the Physical Plant Department within 24 hours. A new key request form must be presented and deposits paid to obtain replacement keys.
9. Locks will be re-keyed only upon submission of an approved Physical Plant Work Request approved by all Departments within a building. Department making request will be assessed $25.00 per lock to cover cost of re-keying.
10. Keys must be returned in person to the Physical Plant Department before the last paycheck will be issued to faculty or staff (classified or unclassified) or before the final grades are released to Graduate Students.
11. Deposits will be refunded upon return of keys in person.
12. Undergraduate students will not be issued keys.
13. The Physical Plant Department shall be responsible for the establishment and implementation of regulations and procedures necessary for the assignment and control of keys to University buildings.
14. This issuance of keys to staff and faculty are subject to the procedures listed below.
BUILDING MASTER (BM) KEY is a key fitting one building and most doors within that building.
1. The Vice-President/Dean of the College and Department Head/Director must give written approval on the “key request” form before BM keys will be issued.
2. Building Masters (MB) keys WILL NOT be issued in those cases where more than one department of college occupies the same building unless all affected Deans, Department Heads and Directors give written approval.
3. The key deposit for BM key will be $20.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
4. Only one BM key per person will be issued.
SUB-MASTER (SM) KEY is a key fitting most doors within a Department.
1. The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the “key request” form before SM keys will be issued.
2. The key deposit for an SM key will be $10.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
3. Only one SM key per person will be issued.
ENTRANCE DOOR KEY is a key which fits the entrance doors within a building.
1. The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the “key request” form before ENTRANCE DOOR keys will be issued.
2. The key deposit for an ENTRANCE DOOR key will be $5.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
3. Only one ENTRANCE DOOR key per person will be issued.
Note: Building entrance doors are not keyed to the Building Master and must be requested as “Entrance Door Key”.
ROOM KEY is a key fitting only one lock (may be several doors keyed alike).
1. The Department Head/Director must give written approval on the key request form before ROOM keys will be issued.
2. The key deposit for a ROOM key will be $2.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.
3. Multiple ROOM keys may be issued to an individual upon written approval of the Departmental Head/Director for purposes of issuing to graduate and undergraduate students. The individual to
whom the keys are originally issued will be held responsible for the security of the room(s) accessed by the keys as well as the deposits.
Department Heads in Griffin Hall shall be authorized to purchase elevator keys, no more than one per Department. The cost will be $6.00 and cannot be charged on a departmental account.